Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hasting's History

After church and brunch today we met for what was really our first chance at reflection. I've definitely noticed that the key word we Chicagoans have been using to describe this trip has been "Hospitality". I've easily heard this term come from our mouths over 30 times since I've been in Nebraska. I can't say that I disagree with this sentiment. Betty and Gary have fully opened up their home to me. It's like we are family, even though I have only just met them. 

When we finished reflections, we joined up with Jeri and walked over to the Hasting's Museum. We caught an IMAX movie about the ancient sea monsters which used to swim over Nebraska on a huge inland sea. I started dozing off before it was over, so when the group wanted to catch a planetarium show not 15 minutes later I decided (in the interest of staying awake) to not join them. Instead I explored the quaint little museum a bit more deliberately. I was drawn to the "Portraits of a Proud People" exhibit. It showcased portraits of famous Native American leaders accompanied by brief biographies and a famous quote from them. The horrible un-Christian treatment of these people by our government impassions me. Unjust treatment of any oppressed people impassions me. All people deserve honor and dignity and respect. All people deserve to have their full humanity recognized and to be served in love.

From these portraits I went downstairs to meander through the Kool-Aid corner. Kool-Aid was invented in Hastings after all. (I think my early excitement about the Kool-Aid museum has thrown everybody off, so let me set the record straight. I don't even like Kool-Aid! It was just the one single thing I knew about Hastings before we came!) I did find something in the exhibit which got my theological wheels turning.

One of the hardest things in life is to be consistent, especially in regards to our faith and our values. When we divide ourselves like Edwin did and follow two separate ethics, we only manage to prove our shallowness and superficiality. A truly Christian ethic must run deep, to the bone. Love and service must permeate everything we do - be it business, family, church, or pleasure.
Leaving the museum, we walked back in the fading light of the sunset to Pastor Steven's house for dinner. I, per usual, had fun climbing the snow piles and throwing snowballs at Kelli and Mary all the way back. Jeri even decided to get in on the fun - too bad she just got a fist-full of ice and powder! This proves that snowball making skills do indeed get rusty after years and years and years and years of disuse. (love you Jeri!) At dinner Pastor Steven and his wife Courtney shared some of the personal challenges they have faced because of Steven's call to ministry. They were really open and candid with us about their lives and I know I definitely appreciated that. I also appreciated Pastor Peeler's perfect pot roast. That Reverend can cook!!

1 comment:

Carla said...

So glad you are here!

I look forward to your visit to my shop on Friday. While this is the smallest town I've ever lived in--Hastings is considered a big city for many people in the area, and offers a lot of wonderful things for a community of this size.

I've found it a wonderful place to learn about regional perspectives, where food really comes from, hard-working, faith-filled people, and the complexities of local cultures made up of many people of similar backgrounds and ethnicities.

I grew up in big cities, went to grad school, and strive to be a life-long learner. The city of Hastings has been an important part of my lifetime's curriculum. I hope it will be for you too.

P.S. "vayda-nIya-gah-mon-EE?"