Saturday, January 10, 2009

Workshop and Wine

Today's Rural Ministry Conference provided a number of quotable quotes from the various pastors and lay leaders who had gathered together to talk about what's working in rural ministry today. Since I have an abject love for pithy quotes, I'm going to share some of these with you now.


“Focus not on what's breaking down, but on what's breaking through.”


“If you want to never know what you'll be doing from day to day, be a rural minister.” 

- Rev. Don Hunzeker


“It all hinges on the school.”


“The best ministry happens in combines, cafes, and bars.”

- Rev. Steven Peeler


“Wind is good for the crops. It makes the stalks strong. Adversity is good for people. It makes their foundations strong.”


“Rural pastors are called by a congregation, but they serve a community.”


What I'm learning is that rural ministry is inextricably linked to the life of the community in which it happens. Never before have I heard a ministry of presence be so highly emphasized as I have here. It's so important for pastors to be seen at the places where the people regularly go. To simply be seen provides such a strong foundation for good ministry.


After the workshop I was going crazy from sitting down all day. Betty convinced Gary to take me to his gym to work out. I was so happy to finally get some exercise. I did free weights while Gary watched Bonanza on the treadmill. Then, after a dinner of upside-down pizza, Betty and Gary taught Mary and I to play a game called “3 to 13”. We played cards, told stories, and drank wine all night long – a wonderful evening. Betty kicked our butts in cards, but I still managed to tie Gary for a very respectable second place.



---------------------

Keep asking God to lead me, as I search inside of me. Try to see where I should be to carry out my ministry. Should I keep my feet on streets with shooting sprees, lack of trees, not to mention corrupt policies? Or am I called to a different street where those I meet are judged by hospitality and attendance at wrestling meets?

Am I called to be a rural minister?

Ministry's the same on any street. No matter who you meet they're searching or identity and meaning. What identity will I empower? Which mission will I preach? What challenge will I face and aim to beat? What street calls my feet? What street calls you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rory--it sounds like you are taking what seems on the surface to be a mundane trip to rural Nebr to a higher level. so often the simplest turns out to be the most complex. Looking forward to seeing you....Thurs? love you! mom