Saturday, January 13, 2007

Arriving in Nebraska

We're HERE!

We left LSTC at 6:15 AM yesterday morning (translation: very early for a seminary student). We flew out of Midway and arrived safely in Omaha, Nebraska. For my first flight since I was eight years old, it went surprisingly well. Security was stressful. Everyone is expected to just know what to do. Thankfully, nearly everyone else in our group had flown recently, so I just followed their cues.

When we arrived, we met three pastors: Gretchen, Brenda, and Barbara. We had a nice chat over coffee before taking off for Arbor Day Farm. That's Arbor Day, as in the day we plant trees. The inside of Lied Lodge, where we had lunch, was beautiful. It was huge, with trees floor-to-ceiling. If I know my artictectural styles correctly, I believe it was "arts and crafts" style. It had quotes from people like Frank Lloyd Wright and Teddy Roosevelt. The food was delicious. Next we went to the Lewis and Clark Exploration exhibt in Nebraska City. I learned a little bit about they trek. I guess what I really learned is that I am not nearly brave enough to do something like that.

Finally, we took off for Johnson. I think it took us half an hour to get here, but I took a cat nap in the car, so I'm not sure. We arrived and my host mother was waiting. Her name is Marianna. She is so sweet. Last night we learned that we both enjoy crocheting and Grey's Anatomy. After dinner with Pr. Catherine, the pastor of the congregations who are hosting us (St. John's and St. Matthew's, a two-point parish), we sat down, watched a movie, and worked on our afghans. I think we're going to get along very well.

After 24 hours in the state of Nebraska, I've noticed a few things that are differently from the rural Indiana towns I'm used to: there are significantly fewer paved roads here and there are LOTS OF HILLS! That's right HILLS! Hopefully, I'll have a picture of the scenery for you soon, but I'm afraid it will be snow-covered, because we're supposed to get 12 INCHES of snow tonight!!!!

No comments: