Saturday, January 13, 2007

Saturday


I know I already posted once today, but that was this morning. I wanted to let ya'll know what I did today, and tomorrow is church, so there won't be quite as much time in the morning.

Marianna had hoped that I could see the sunrise this morning, but it was overcast, so no luck. Hopefully, I'll be able to see it at least once while I'm here. We got going early, just in case the forecasted snow fell heavily earlier than expected. Marianna let me drive and we toured the four - that's right FOUR ELCA churches within twenty minutes of her house (they may be closer, but I was driving and was a little bit nervous on the gravel road). I saw St. Matthew yesterday. Today, I saw Martin Luther, St. John, and Hickory Grove. St. John is the other church in the two-point relationship. It is known as the "Old Stone Church" (pictured at right).

After the "church tour" we went to the grocery store to get stuff for dinner. We came home, had homemade chicken noodle soup, enjoyed a movie (Netflix!), and worked on our afghans. For dinner we had a pot roast. I am in home-cooked food HEAVEN!

Marianna and I have had a great day getting to know one another. She knows so much about the people in the community. She's related to a lot of them! Moreover, she has so many memories. She was born in this community and married her high school sweetheart. Her husband and five children lived in Wichita and Dodge City, Kansas. After 50 years, she has returned to her home community and is very involved. Because of her varied experience, we have gotten to talk a lot about the differences between city life and that of the country. The biggest difference? Marianna says that it is the way she shops. Here, it takes a little bit of time to get to a grocery store, so when you shop, you shop so you don't have to go back. I think I ought to learn how to do that, anyway. Who wants to go to the grocery store everyday, anyway?

Well, I think it is time to sleep. Blessings!
Adrianne

No comments: