Saturday, January 13, 2007

First Impressions

For me the biggest surprise so far has been the brownness of the landscape. Now this probably seems like a "duh" observation to everyone else, but I'm from the Northwest and we don't really do brown there so much. Someone yesterday commented on all the trees and I blinked, because I hadn't noticed any trees. Oh wait, those are trees over there, they're just brown and leafless. I had kind of forgotten that not all trees are fluffy evergreens. The grass gets brown here too. I hadn't seen that in years. Amazing.

Shortly before we landed yesterday morning, someone said something very interesting. Apparently there is now a little bit of Iowa on the Nebraska side of the Missouri, because the Missouri decided to move a bit. I wonder if anybody was living in that section, and how they feel about it.

All of the students on the trip have different hosts. I'm staying with some nice people, or perhaps I should say one fabulous lady, since the rest of family went hunting. Today we are supposed to be soaking up a day in the rural life, but my host is working, so I get to follow the pastor around. We hit the convenience store/cafe, the grocery store, and did three visits, all before lunch. Now that we're getting icy snow on and off, we're sitting and relaxing, but, boy, the pastor is a busy lady.

No comments: