Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Trade Offs

Anywhere one lives, there are bound to be some good points and some bad points. It's a thought that keeps on coming back to me since we left Nebraska. Be it Chicago vs. Nebraska or just rural vs non-rural, what's the trade, what are some of the strong points of each and some of the weak points? Everyone will value certain things differently, so I can't say how it would all stack up according to someone else. All I know is what are the factors that strike me.

Yesterday I was downtown, making my way to the nearest stop for the #6 Jackson Park Express bus, when I was stopped and ordered to proceed through six lanes of traffic and use the sidewalk on the other side of the street. This was because they were filming Fred Claus. (see the trailer here) right outside of Nordstrom there and had commandeered the whole area. This is where people value things differently. Some would be thrilled. Maybe they would get to see Vince Vaughn, Paul Giamatti or somebody else. Me? I was mostly just annoyed at having to cross traffic.

There are a lot of things like that. A city has certain amenities, but each person values them differently. I enjoy the shopping. As for sports, I am at best, indifferent. I have a sneaking fondness for things like opera and ballet, but not the resources to support such interests, so it makes little difference. I enjoy museums and the variety of restaurants, but rarely eat out. The public transportation is great, because I prefer not to deal with the traffic and parking here. However, it has its limits. I can't carry heavy furniture home with me on the el and people consider things to be so easily available in Chicago that they aren't very helpful about my need to be able to get the furniture somewhere. Whereas, when something is considered to be a rarer commodity locally, people are sometimes more helpful. (I've known someone to take a furniture shopping list composed by family, friends, and co-workers, buy the stuff and then drive it more than 2,250 miles to its destination, since they were going that way anyway.) Sometimes when I'm walking alone after dark, I wonder how much of the need for constant vigilance I would be happy to trade for sidewalks that rolled up shortly after six. So how do you feel about pollution obscuring the stars or a lack of options for your Friday night entertainment? Those are decisions that we all need to think about and be prepared to make when the time comes.

No comments: